Part 2: (includes mild language)
- After my experience of being diagnosed, I wanted to help others my age who were in the same position.
- I realised quickly that the people I was with that were in the clinic didn’t relate to me, I needed to find people younger than me. I was in my early 20’s desperately trying to figure out what this diagnosis meant for me. I found that challenging.
- Over time I found others in a similar situation and we shared ideas and feelings around diagnosis - realizing they were similar.
- When you have an online platform you have the opportunity to connect people from all over, when you get rid of the geographical barrier you could connect to anybody.
- George’s friends from university helped him shape how shift.ms is today.
- Being a charity was never the goal. The goal was to fill a gap in support for people diagnosed. Existing services weren’t meeting the needs of these people.
- Being proactive in the management of your MS is key.
- How to set up a charity
- It was never the intention for it to be anyone’s job.
- The weird thing about setting up a charity and how a founder needs to employ their bosses.
- Setting up shift.ms helped George to come to terms with his own illness.
- We discuss Post Traumatic Growth in response to a diagnosis, a surprisingly common response. People who go through trauma want something good to happen as a result. Being diagnosed with anything is a traumatic experience.
- What happened when George approached major charities to pitch his ideas.
- We discuss shift.ms’s motto: we believe that MS doesn’t mean giving up on ambitions, just rethinking how to achieve them.
- Listen out for George’s top advice for newly diagnosed
Connect with George:
Sick of negative Facebook groups?
Join the ENabled tribe:
Search Facebook: ENabled Warriors
Or Insta: EnabledWarriors
Reduce stress now go to ENabledwarriors.org our free Facebook messenger 5 day stress course.
This episode is sponsored by iHerb. Quality supplements at an affordable price for every need and condition, including pet healthcare. iHerb believes in providing an education to impoverished children worldwide will be the most meaningful, long-term return on investment. Go to: http://mmini.me/iherb this is an affiliate link, meaning for every purchase made iHerb supports the running of the disabled to enabled podcast. Please go get your supplements :)