A slightly different kind of guest today. This guest doesn’t have a chronic illness but inadvertently created the most amazing mobility bike for people with chronic illnesses.
*DISCLAIMER* Please be aware there is a lot of swearing in this episode. The opinions expressed in this episode are not those of DISabled to ENabled and are intended to spark discussion about issues relating to chronic invisible illness.
- Mobility devices are designed to be a medical mobility aid that creates a social divide between people with and without a disability. The Alinker brides the gap between people with disabilities and without. BE set out to make something really cool so that people would be proud to use it rather than feel embarrassed.
- What is an Alinker? A cool mobility aid for active people who want to stay active despite mobility challenges. It’s bright yellow and looks a bit like a racing mobile.
- It helps people gain mobility back in their lives.
- It means that people are seen on a cool bike at eye level and you can be approached by able people without judgment. It means that we can challenge people’s assumptions.
- Who is the Alinker for? The Alinker is for everyone who identifies as an active person and who wants to stay active. It’s also for misfits and rebels.
- Gender identity.
- Why is the Alinker not considered a medical device? There is a very good reason.
- Should we rename the healthcare system to the ‘sick care system’? You’re then not focussing on the problem anymore.
- The problems facing our healthcare system.
- Climate change
- How can we be improving climate change?
- The Alinker began with BE’s mum not wanting to use a medical mobility aid. Actually, from that it turned into something far larger.
- Mobility devices are a technical item for a body with a problem.
- An Alinker makes you feel tall. It puts you at eye level.
- Veganism and vegetarianism. The meat industry. Awareness.
- Is an illness caused by environment? Or is it a factor?
- Building a farm in Kentucky to grow vegetables.
- Only Alinker users will be on the payroll by 2020.
- Friendship with Selma Blair
- How the Alinker has grown to the level it has.
- This device is actively making people better.
Connect with BE:
Are you ready to join a secret underground tribe of people that ‘get it’?
Search for the ENabled warriors on Facebook to ask your questions in future interviews
Or follow us on Insta: DISabledtoENabled
Are you affected by stress? Take the 5-day stress challenge and see if you can live stress-free: free 5 day stress challenge
Thank you to Gousto for sponsoring this episode. Please note I do not promote anything I don’t use myself and I can safely say Gousto is my all-time favorite meal box product. I’ve used all the others but this is by far the best in my opinion. Get 60% off your first box and 30% off your first month of boxes (UK only)
Click here to get yours: https://mmini.me/gousto
Don't just take it from me, here’s what our listener Jo from Coalville, UK says:
“Before I used Gousto I made meals purely from the freezer, it was not doing me or my invisible illness any good. This box has taught me how to cook easy meals from fresh every day and my health (and family) thanks me for it - no more mealtime arguments!” - Jo, Coalville.
Liven up your dinner tonight with Gousto and have meals like this...
Get 60% off your first box and 30% off your first month (UK only) by clicking here: https://mmini.me/gousto